Posted by Pure Joy Home / Tuesday, October 22, 2013 / 3 Comments / RECIPES
Pumpkin Spice Cake
I made this super simple and very, very delicious cake this weekend for my parents' paella party on Saturday night. Nothing could trump a paella but this cake was perfect for finishing off the night with the sweet taste of fall.
what you need:
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup warm (110 degrees) milk
what you do:
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray with Pam a 9-by-2-inch round cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, and beat until combined. Add pumpkin and milk; beat until combined. Add reserved flour mixture; beat on low speed until just combined.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool. Let cake rest 20 minutes.
for the icing:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
1. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until nut-brown in color, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and pour butter into a bowl, leaving any burned sediment behind.
2. Add sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon milk; stir until smooth. If the icing is too thick, add the remaining tablespoon milk, a little at a time, until consistency is spreadable. Let cool 5 minutes.
3. Using an offset spatula, spread icing over top of cake :)
recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
Pure Joy Home
Mother of two little ones, wife, lifestyle blogger, shop owner at Pure Joy Paperie. Trying to do everything and stay sane, join me!