Posted by / Friday, December 18, 2015 / No comments /

How I Keep Up My Blonde Highlights

I get a lot of questions about how I color my hair so I'm here to tell you about my process which happens to include using a drug-store box dye!

This was taken about 5 weeks after a professional highlighting job and 1 week after using a box on my roots
no, I don't color Brian's hair -- what's funny is I'm totally after what he has naturally :)

OK so I feel like I finally conquered the constant maintenance of keeping up highlights. For those of you who color you hair, you know, it's an issue. I talk about this with a lot of my friends and the number seems to be increasing the older we get. If I had the time and money, I would be at the salon every 4-5 weeks for touch-ups but honestly that's something I do not have the time or money for. I am a natural brunette but I swear I'm like 50% gray at this point. The gray is the tricky part because when my roots come in, I can't really pull off the ombre look anymore without looking like I'm 75.

>>Enter Clairol and my nifty self-colored forever blonde mom<< She has always had the prettiest hair and she has never had it professionally colored. She is a natural blonde but in that mousy dull way so she colors it herself to keep it pretty and fresh looking. Once when she was getting her hair cut at a nice salon in our town, the veteran stylist asked where she had it colored and when she told him she did it herself he told her to keep quiet and keep that to herself. 

Isn't she pretty, love her.

SO we decided to give it a go on my hair and it worked :) With the box now in my life, I try and push my professional highlight appointments to 14 weeks or so apart and I get by with 9A Nice & Easy Natural Light Ash Blonde. I'm sharing this with you because my friends are shocked with I tell them I use a box die as part of my process and maybe you can benefit from giving it a whirl.

I urge you to brave the box isle at CVS and experiment with a color underneath your hair to find one that might help out with stretching your salon appointments. My mom is a pro which is why I have her do it, but you could probably do it yourself or ask a friend, neighbor, whoever. It takes an hour max in the comfort of your own home, no babysitters required and costs about $7 :) 

Here is a link to my color from Target : http://bit.ly/1UJxQEp

Happy Coloring, Princesses :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Follow

Instagram